Digital Tutors - Essential Strategies for Hand Painting Textures in Mudbox With Eddie Russell
Duration 2h 14m | Level Intermediate | Project Files Included | MP4 | 2.3GB
When it comes to creating textures for assets often times an artist will immediately reach for photographs to use. While this can be effective so can painting all of your textures from scratch. If you know how to paint the texture you are looking for by hand then you dont have to spend time hunting down an image you can use.
In this tutorial well work step by step through texturing our warthog warrior chieftain asset using nothing but paint and brushes here in Mudbox. Well get started by focusing just on the diffuse color and learning how we can begin to limit our color options by establishing a color palette. From here well learn an order to lay down our color in that can be used on any asset. Well also learn how to structure the addition of detail as we progress through our textures. After wrapping up the diffuse map well then move on and paint a bump map specular map and even an incandescent map for our character.
After finishing this training you will have learned a workflow that you can use as you begin handing painting textures for your assets.
01. Introduction and project overview 01:26
02. Establishing a color palette and a painting workflow 07:54
03. Beginning a base color for the body 07:55
04. Bringing in baked ambient occlusion 06:59
05. Using the Dry Brush to paint the horns 08:25
06. Painting dark spots on the skin 07:30
07. Painting light spots on the skin 07:28
08. Painting higher levels of detail around the hooves and horns 09:35
09. Adding finishing details to the skin 09:31
10. Painting tattoos for the warthog warrior chieftain 09:04
11. Beginning to paint the hair 09:20
12. Finishing off the hair 06:03
13. Adjusting the eye color 04:59
14. Painting a bump map for the body 09:33
15. Painting a specular map for the body 09:52
16. Repurposing layers to create a specular map for the hair 08:44
17. Painting an incandescent map 06:12
18. Exporting and sending texture maps to other applications 03:53More Info: